Interesting Read! How Registrar Aided Ajudua To Defraud Me – Bamaiyi

    A former Chief of Army Staff,
    Lt.Gen. Ishaya Bamaiyi (retd.), on Tuesday, narrated to a Lagos State High
    Court in Ikeja, how he was allegedly swindled by an alleged serial fraudster,
    Fred Ajudua, with the aid of a suspended court registrar, Mrs. Oluronke Rosulu.
    Bamaiyi, who served under
    the late military dictator, Gen. Sani Abacha, appeared as a witness on Tuesday
    before Justice Lateef Lawal-Akapo, where Rosulu, then registrar to Justice
    Olubunmi Oyewole, is facing two counts of conspiracy and obtaining money by
    false pretences.

    According to the Economic
    and Financial Crimes Commission, Rosulu allegedly connived with Ajudua to
    defraud Bamaiyi of $330, 000 on November 20, 2004.
    The money was allegedly
    obtained from Bamaiyi by Ajudua with the aid of Rosulu, under the false
    pretence that the sum represented the professional or legal fee demanded by
    Chief Afe Babalola (SAN).
    Then, Bamaiyi was standing
    trial before Justice Oyewole over the allegation of attempted murder of the
    publisher of The Guardian Newspapers, Mr. Alex Ibru, and two others.
    Ajudua had allegedly told
    Bamaiyi that he was a lawyer and that on the advice of then Lagos State Chief
    Judge, Justice Ade Alabi (retd.) and the then Lagos Attorney General, Prof.
    Yemi Osinbajo (SAN), it was best for him to hire Babalola as his lawyer, in
    order to facilitate his release from the Kirikiri Maximum Prisons in Lagos,
    where he was remanded.
    Rosulu, whose trial had now
    been separated from that of Ajudua for want of speedy trial, was alleged by the
    EFCC to have contraved Section 1 (3) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud
    Related Offences Act No. 13 of 1995.
    Led in evidence by the EFCC
    lawyer, Seidu Atteh, Bamaiyi narrated, “On November 23, 1999, I was in cell 5,
    first floor, at  Kirikiri Maximum
    Prisons. Later Ajudua and Ade Bendel were brought in at the block. I and Ajudua
    were together in my cell, so we became friends.
    “Ajudua told me that he was
    a lawyer and that he had studied my case, and found out that it was purely
    political. Ajudua told me that he was interested in the case and that he had
    sent his wife to see the Lagos Chief Judge, Justice Ade Alabi and the state
    Attorney General,  Prof. Yemi Osinbajo,
    over the matter. I was told that the CJ was the one in contact with Chief
    “I was told that Chief (Afe)
    Babalola charged $18m as professional fee. I was then told that the money was
    to be paid through Justice Oyewole. Ajudua told me that Justice Oyewole was
    going to send his registrar (Rosulu).
    “On October 23, 2004, which
    was Rosulu’s first visit to me in Kirikiri, the defendant came to the visiting
    room  with Ajudua and confirmed to me
    that she was sent by Justice Oyewole. She came with Ajudua alongside a prison
    officer, ACP Abdullahi Garuba.
    “On November 6, 2004 at
    10am, which was her second visit, the defendant came with Ajudua to the prison,
    alongside ACP Garuba. This time she came with her daughter, who she said was
    from the university. The defendant assured me that any money released through
    Justice Oyewole would get to Chief Babalola.
    “Before the defendant’s third
    visit on November 20, 2004, a friend of mine had arranged $330,000 for me. The
    money was brought in a ‘Ghana-Must-Go’ to the prison. I showed Ajudua the money
    and he said he would send one Jonathan, his boy, to assist us in counting the
    money. The money was counted in the presence of the defendant (Rosulu) and the
    prison officer (ACP Garuba).
    “That evening, Ajudua told
    me that the defendant called and confirmed delivering the said money to Justice
    Oyewole and same had been taken to Chief Babalola. I  never met her again until December 19, 2013
    at the Lagos office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. Not
    hearing from Chief Babalola after a while, then Ajudua had travelled to India,
    I suspected that something was wrong.
    “I called Ajudua’s line in
    India to tell him that Justice Oyewole said he never received any money and
    Chief Babalola did not handle my case. Ajudua asked me how I got Justice
    Oyewole’s number and since then he stopped receiving call on that line.”
    During cross-examination by
    the defence counsel, Mr. Bamidele Ogundele, the retired General said Rosulu
    never introduced herself to him as a legal officer or an employee in the office
    of Chief Babalola.
    Bamaiyi added that Rosulu
    did not sign any document  on receiving
    the $330,000 claimed to be part payment for 
    Babalola’s legal services.

    Rosulu’s trial was, on
    October 24 last year, separated from that of Ajudua, who had hitherto stalled
    the proceeding with various applications.

    Follow Us on Facebook – @LadunLiadi; Instagram – @LadunLiadi; Twitter – @LadunLiadi; Youtube – @LadunLiadiTV for updates


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here