Male Secondary School students in Bauchi State, have protested against a new policy introduced by the state government separating boys from girls.
The students who came out from most of the Secondary Schools within Bauchi metropolis disrupted commercial activities as they marched along major streets to the Emir’s Palace and the headquarters of the ministry to express their grievances.
The students carried placards with various inscriptions against the new education system which they strongly condemned stating that it is retrogressive to education in the 21st century.
Some of them who spoke to journalists said that the new system will make them lag in the area of social interaction as well as portray them as immature people.
The protesting students also berated the Education Ministry for not carrying them along while taking the decision stressing that they too have a say in the decisions that affect them.
They are, therefore, appealing to the Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, to look into the development and rescind the government’s decision by reverting to the old co-educational system which they said is promoting social interaction.
The Commissioner for Education in the state, Aliyu Tilde, announced that the state government had decided to separate male and female students in all secondary schools in the state.
While addressing journalists after a State Executive Council meeting held at the Government House recently, he noted that it would only be executed whenever and wherever it was possible.
Last week, the Ministry published that the male and female students in secondary schools across the state will be separated while academic activities for the 2022/2023 session start on Monday, September 26, 2022.