Home World News Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history

1
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is now the deadliest in its history, according to public health officials

A total of 2,325 people have been killed by the virus since it was declared on 15 May, surpassing the death toll of the country’s 2018-2020 outbreak.

The outbreak was already the fastest growing on record, UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said last week, warning that “the epidemic is k!lling someone every 30 minutes”.

There is currently no approved vaccine available for the Bundibugyo species that has caused the current epidemic but several are in development, including one based on technology used to develop the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine.

DR Congo’s Institute of Public Health on Sunday said it had recorded 4,945 confirmed cases, including 101 in the previous 24 hours.

Comparatively few cases have been identified outside the country: as of 12 August, 20 cases were confirmed in neighbouring Uganda, while two people were treated in Germany and one case was declared in France.

However, the pace of the virus’s transmission in DR Congo, where it has spread to six of 26 provinces, has been described as “exceptional” by the World Health Organization.

Follow Us on Facebook – @LadunLiadi; Instagram – @LadunLiadi; Twitter – @LadunLiadi; Youtube – @LadunLiadiTV for updates

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here