The management of Rivers State University has banned students from wearing miniskirts, ankle chains (anklets or ankle bracelets), and false eyelashes.
The school management also banned students from having tattoos and dressing in a certain way considered “indecent” on campus.
This was disclosed in an Internal Memorandum released by the Registrar of the school, Dr. S. C. Enyindah last Wednesday, October 19, 2022, compelling all the students to obey the prohibitive order with immediate effect.
The circular titled, ‘Ban on Indecent Dressing by Students on Campus’, reads: “I am directed to inform you that Senate has banned indecent dressing by students on campus with immediate effect.
“I am further directed to inform you that this ban is sequel to a memo presented by the Committee of Provost and Deans and considered by Senate at its 291 Regular Meeting held on Thursday, 29th September, 2022.
“By this ban, it is now prohibited for any student to dress the following way on campus: 1. Wearing of ‘spaghetti gown’ by female students.
2. Wearing of short skirt above the knees by female students.
“3. Colouring of hair by both male and female students.
4. Sagging of trousers by both male and female students
5. Wearing of earrings by male students and nose rings by female students.
“6. Wearing of tattoos by both male and female students.
7. Wearing of ankle chain by female students.
8. Wearing of long eyelashes by female students.
9. Wearing of gown/blouse that exposes the navel or breast by female students.
“10. Wearing of tattered jean trousers by both male and female students.
11. Wearing of bathroom slippers or bon short to the classroom.
“I am in the circumstance, directed to draw the attention of all students to the above decision and hereby request that you please note and comply accordingly.”
The notice from Rivers State University below;