Russian MMA Star Alexander Pisarev Found Dead
MMA fighter Alexander Pisarev has tragically passed away at the age of just 33, with reports claiming his death was the result of food poisoning after he ate a poisoned watermelon.
Pisarev, who had five professional MMA fights and a record of 3-2, died suddenly on October 30, with an unnamed member of his Tomahawk team telling Russian news agency Tass : “Alexander Pisarev died in his sleep and did not have any chronic health problems. According to preliminary data, death was the result of food poisoning.”
A number of media outlets including Pravda suggested Pisarev ate a watermelon alongside his wife, who has also been hospitalised.
Tomahawk later released a statement on Pisarev’s passing, which did not list his cause of death.
It read: “My brother, my friend, my student! Words cannot express the extent of the loss. Alexander Pisarev is the standard of friendship, decency and courage of a Russian person.
“I and we will miss you!!! Rest in peace our brother.” Pisarev was discovered by his father, Igor Vladimirovich, who returned to his son’s apartment in Moscow after walking the family’s dog to discover he was no longer breathing.
“I looked into the room — Alexander and his wife were sleeping,” Vladimirovich is reported as saying by Russian outlet Pravda. “I came closer and then realised that my son was no longer breathing.
“There were fractures of the fingers after the last fights, but this is nothing. We all eat the same food, we live together.”
An investigation has been opened into the circumstances of his death, with the Moscow Region Investigative Committee saying in a statement: “In Balashikha, an investigation was organized into the death of an athlete as a result of poisoning.
“Investigators, with the participation of a forensic specialist, are conducting an additional inspection of the scene, confiscating items relevant to the investigation, and planning a forensic chemical examination.”