FG to resume prosecution of alleged terrorists
Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi, yesterday, disclosed that the federal government would resume the prosecution of some alleged terrorists, including Boko Haram members, in the next two weeks.
Fagbemi made the disclosure in Abuja, at the opening of the 40th Technical Commission and Plenary Meeting of the Inter-Governmental Action Group against Money Laundering in West Africa (GIABA).
He said the federal government had secured over 500 convictions, and N45 billion forfeitures in two years.
The revelations came as National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Thursday, said violent extremism in some parts of the country had been on the decline since President Bola Tinubu assumed office in May.
Ribadu made the assertion at the ongoing 19th All Nigeria Editors’ Conference in Uyo, while speaking on the topic, “Oil Theft, Illegal Bunkering, Pipeline Vandalism: Impact on Nigerian Economy.”
He called for patience on the part of the citizenry, saying Tinubu is working hard to address the country’s critical problems.
Fagbemi stressed that the federal government was alive to the issue of bringing suspected terrorists to justice and was finalising efforts to ensure their smooth and successful trial.
He said, “Efforts are on to resume the trial of those categories of people. And I think, in the next two weeks, it will be a different story. We are conscious of that issue.
“Facilities are being put in place. Apart from the regular physical mode of trial, we are working on ways to ensure that virtual trial can also be conducted.”
The minister said the adoption of virtual trial was aimed at preventing delay, and added that the government was not shying away from its responsibility of providing funds for the purpose.